Friday, March 5, 2010

Vacation

That's what I feel today is. One single day off work. I didn't sleep in much, but scrambled around packing for a weekend trip I'm about to take. I had a deadline to make--a teeth cleaning appointment. Teeth cleaning doesn't bother me. They don't feel any different now, which probably means I've been keeping them pretty clean.

I'm already 45 minutes into the total 4 hour trip of today, but I don't need to get to my destination til 5 or 6. So I'm simply relaxing at a coffee shop. Really relaxing. It feels like so long since I sank blissfully into the soothing company of strangers. The babble of voices that are in no way directed at me. A gentleman sits on the other side of this side table working a crossword, and we feel no need to explain our existences to each other.

On the high ceiling--corrugated metal it is--there are huge nails sticking through, like the roofing is the very next layer, and was attached with liberal nail gunning. And I think, "While I am in here I should hope gravity remains toward and not away from the center of the earth."

Not worrying about tomorrow:
worrying--caring-- I asked my Dad about the original Greek of the word. He found the same word for worry in the verse about not worrying about the morrow, is used in verses that tellpeople to care for one another. I asked because in older English, the word "worry" referred more to a haggling/wrestling. Like a dog "worrying at" a bone.

I can see how the word could have positive as well as negative connotations. Care for one another. Be engaged in your concern for your brothers and sisters in Christ, not just "hi how are you? good. 'bye." But don't take that same multi-dimensional concern into your thought life about your future. I can spend all day exploring imaginary pathways into the future, wrestling with ideas and schemes. But there's such peace in recognizing my helplessness, and resting in the present. A time to plan, I suppose, and a time to enjoy the present. I'm off work today, and blogging in a coffee shop full of sunny chatter, is rest for me.

I should start thinking about hitting the road. I look forward to some pitch exercises while driving. Do re, do mi, do fa, do sol. First, though, I might get a bit of cheese cake. No rush.

One thing about this weekend is that my friend's dad is hooking me up with some used sound equipment. I don't know what to expect, and I'm intrigued by this development. And, great gherkins, I just realized I forgot to pack "the Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook."

1 comment: