Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Delayed Consciousness

So I've wondered if there could be a phenomenon which I'll call delayed consciousness. Like lag in a live chat, it couldn't be much of a delay or it would be easily measured.

But here's the picture-- imagine a brain as it processes the information received by the senses. Information comes in the ear. At lightning speed the brain processes the raw data into a conscious experience of hearing.

But what if there was a step in between raw data and experience? What if some brains, before creating the conscious experience of hearing, stored the information? In a fraction of a second's lag, you suddenly have a person who, in hindsight, thinks they knew what someone was going to say just before they said it. For by the time they experienced 'hearing' they already had the stored knowledge. Not as a memory, perhaps, but a sense of familiarity. Hmm.

Disclaimer:::: this is not based on any scientific fact or research, but speculation. I'd love to watch a documentary on the subject of sensory experience.

1 comment:

  1. In my mind, I could conceivably see this to be true. And I have a feeling I've experienced it.

    ReplyDelete