Thursday, August 6, 2009

non sequiter(z)


Sometimes it gives me deep satisfaction to sport a pen-ink tattoo on my arm.  A whole sleeve, even.  But I don't happen to want a permanent tattoo.  Actually, impermanence is what I love about such "tattoos".  And hair dye, too--eventually that goes away.  Things like that.  Today I have a long curly flame down my arm.

Random notes accumulate on that limb throughout the day; while I'm scanning I don't have time to write thoughts or to-do's in a proper place.  Besides, my arm stays with me.  It's always fun after work to decipher the symbols & abbreviations I used.  Like, what does "wb list" mean? I knew it wasn't Warner Bros, or water balloon... finally my sister said, "White board?" and I said Yes! I was reminding myself to buy or research the items I'd written on my white board.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I have a pair of sturdy hiking sandals I bought spring of 2008.  I broke them in and wore them on the 150 miles (250 km) I hiked in Spain.  <--Unforgettable.  I still wear the sandals for walking; running not so much.  They stink terrible.  Just like nacho cheese doritos (I kid you not).


The route I walk here--a block on your basic county grid--may not be special because I've lived here most of my life, but there are some absolutely perfect views of Northern Indiana farmland, & a little lake.  I was joking with my sister today as we walked.  "If we were on a country road in England, we'd be oohing and ahing about that hilly pasture over there.  We'd say, "Look at that weird tree root!"  "Oooh, look at that farmhouse--we should move here!"  "Ooh, look at the cows!"  Yeah.  We pretty much would.  








~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I own about seven movies.  They are all enjoyable in their own ways.

The Sheik (& The Son Of The Sheik)--ancient silent films!!! Starring Rudolph Valentino, long forgotten, once so adored.  He died very young.  A must see, as a curiosity, if you've never watched a full-length silent film.  There is so much culture (American entertainment in 1921; their romanticized views of Arabic culture, and what faces made movie stars.
Everything is Illuminated-- Apparently this movie is only the shell of the book, but I think it's better that way.  A poignant story.  The soundtrack includes great jewish/russian sounding music.  And hilarious quotes.
Lucky Break--Nobody's heard of this one... It's about a couple guys in jail for being dumb criminals, and their plot to escape, involving the jailbirds putting on a musical written by the prison warden...for the community... and the main character falls in love with the anger management teacher.
Nim's Island--got it cheap, enjoyed it.  Fun kid's movie.
The Flying Scotsman--got it cheap at the same time as above.  First movie besides Mansfield Park in which I've seen Johnny Lee Miller.  It's sort of a documentary about a guy breaking a biking record, but it's a story, and as such, endearing.
Benny & Joon--it's just one of those movies you've gotta see sometime.
Music Man--Bought it last Saturday at a book sale.  Haven't seen it since I was about 6.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

things I cannot fully be as long as I wish I could be all of them:

a painter
a history teacher
a concert pianist
an wilderness trip leader
a psychologist
an author
a computerized music composer
an actress
an apologist
a plant biologist
a landscaper
an accountant
with fluency in Spanish, German, Welsh, Scottish, Pidgin.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

stream of conscious poem written at an outdoor concert.

clouds sail in past
the taller buildings in town.
And the band in Freiman's Square
sings for all weather.
It's a smalltown city I can see
by the everyday folks gathered.
No freak show of individuality--
just ordinary folk gathered to
enjoy Sunday afternoon.
People find their way--
but I won't give credit
to evolution for that.
Hats.  They dazzle.  They awaken
the mind to a personality.
A child dances freely,
but abandons the dance to
splash in the fountain--carefree.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
If you are reading this, I hope you
have a fantastic day tomorow.
rest on God's amazing grace more every day.
thank somebody you love for being there.
Sleep well.

No comments:

Post a Comment