Friday, June 19, 2009

Blues

Music and serve many purposes.  Commonly music is used as a mode of worship.  It is also used for entertainment.  And, quite often, distraction.  Some people can't not listen to music--they get edgy.  Their own thoughts get too loud, perhaps.

There's another age-old purpose for music.  An outlet for deep, inexpressible emotion...expressed.  Through sad stories blues, cowboy tunes, and old ballads can be a channel for deep emotion that otherwise would boil and spoil within the singer.  

Sometimes I just can't stand such music--being in the mood for cheerful music.  But other times I am in such a mood that, if I don't reassure myself that other people have felt the same way, I'll feel isolated and depressed.  Music allows melancholy to become a positive expression of shared humanity.

Ironically, even in that kind of mood, it's better if the music is not about me, but someone else.  And.... I'd prefer it have hope built into it.  I don't know.  Whatever.  I am super tired.  Partly because it's late, and partly because last night when the lightning started at 3:30 I didn't ever completely go back to sleep.  Partly because I sang a lot tonight.  Partly because I'm bemused by my interest in people, and yet I am such a terrible conversationalist.  Seriously, why  can't I just ask friendly questions and not say stupid nosy things that shut people down?  Many questions I could ask, I know can be soothed simply by resting my body & soul.  So I'll go brush my teeth... write a poem or two...and a psalm ending in hope...

I think I'd like to buy a cd of lullabyes.

1 comment: