Sunday, October 18, 2009

New Day

(softly
slowly
slowly, still)
You wander like a shadow left by
leaves upon the wind
you drink the air that many haven't found.
There you are reminding yourself that
logic isn't always just
There you are, you carry gentleness
to the sinners and condemned
they don't know why you're there
but something's changed
like midnight brings new day.
New day.
Sunrise coming.
Clouds are breaking
Hardship we are overcoming
In your love ourselves forgetting
New day.

Three times I did deny you
when you called, when you knocked,
when you lay halfway dead
but you did not deny the ones who came to you
You'd choose the least, the meek, the fool--
my pride you can't abide
you may not keep track of unpaid dues
but you are drawn to fools
You show them a new day
Midnight brings new day.
New day.

Will you look at me and see a fool
will you take me, love me, as your own
will you walk with me
talk with me
always?
Can I copy you-
be like you-
-emulate your gentle way-
walk like you
talk like you
follow you right into
the new day?

Sunrise coming. Clouds are breaking.
sunrise coming. clouds are breaking.
.....

1 comment: