Friday, May 8, 2009

Not on my own

I looked for freedom of speech
I looked for an open window.
I looked for the best way to get what I wanted.
I looked for the other side.
I looked for a better viewpoint.
I looked for a bigger venue.
I looked for the day I could be 
everything I never wanted.
I swam in a river of doubt.
I scowled and kicked at dirt.
My lists said I was dying for
love in perfect community.
It's easier to live like a kite
tethered but free to roam.
It's easier to run from a fight
than show my still-am.
I'd cry over the worst-case
but I remembered my truth.
Many things I am not.
Many ways I will fail.
Many days I'll ignore the grace
that lifts me out of grief.
But today I heard a thought,
anonymous comfort whatever may come:
The story isn't over.

No comments:

Post a Comment